Monday, October 27, 2014

Semester Project Proposal

Caroline Becker
Professor Cacoilo
Convergence
Semester Project Proposal

As a coach and a former athlete, I found it interesting how the development of younger athletes occurs at a much earlier age. This, I think, has to do with the accessibility of the Internet and how the Internet and social outlets are making it much more easier to learn and become a skillful athlete in whatever sport. I believe that the best way for me to present my idea would be through a video in which I will give examples and provide back up information with images, music, articles and other videos. What I will be talking about is how YouTube “how to” video tutorials  or websites like eHow, make it easier to learn specific skills of a sport. It is making it easier on society as a whole, especially the younger generation.
 I will be taking YouTube  “How To” videos as well as a website site like wikihow, which has a written out steps, with picture, on how to preform a specific skill, such as how to do a foul shot. Since there are so many people uploading their advice and “how-to”, mass ameraturization is a positive influence.
 Before the Internet, if someone wanted to learn how to dribble a basketball, he or she would have to seek out an individual who will take out the time and teach him or her how to perform the action of ball dribbling. Now, with YouTube and wikihow and even Instagram, one learns how to do something in just a click. By having these media outlets, one can learn how to do anything. They learn how to perform an action at their own pace and on their own time, just by watching a video over and over again.
My message is that, although the media has some negative impacts, in this insistence, it happens to be a powerful learning tool and a positive influence on society. By having people posting “how to shoot a foul shot,” I personally, could have saved a lot of time and money by having these videos and learning it on my own instead of paying a “skill coach,” where he or she would guide and tutor you on the skills that needs improvement. It is allowing an even playing ground at a young age. Mainly, I am promoting the positive benefits of having access to the Internet and all the content that is provided all over the world through mass amerateruzation and user-content.
 Specifically, I would like to target young ages to make them aware of the power and the advancement they all have the privilege of having. In all honesty, I would like to target everyone.  Sports are a universal activity and hobby, which is permitted at almost any age and is allowed for all gender and race, therefore; society as a whole would be targeted. It involves my audience because most individuals has either played a sport, had a family member or a friend who played a sport, watch sports, like sports, wants to coach a sport or maybe will/has a child that enjoys and participates in sports. By getting this information out, it will allow children to believe more in themselves by thinking, for the most part, kids have the accessibility to learn something all by themselves if they take out the time and search for it.

Also, from an outsider point of view, this availability of the Internet and social media, the athletic ability allows sports, like college football, to be more entertaining and exciting. I am making this project because I feel that I can really connect with this. I was a former college athlete and a travelling coach, I have seen that it has almost become a norm to be a skilled athlete as a  kid and young adult. In the past, there were only a few star and skilled players. Now, it seem that more and more kids are outstanding players. It is also important to me because as a coach, I need my players to practice, practice, practice. I want my kids to practice on their own and sometimes when you practice bad form, it is a nasty habit to break. The “how to shoot a basketball” tutorials make it that much easier and better for my kids to learn excellent form and discipline.



http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Foul-Shot

3 comments:

  1. This doesn't seem to be a very interesting topic to me. I get the concept and the message you are trying to convey, but i don't think it has anything to do with the internet. From my experiences, some kids are just naturally talented and athletic. Not to mention, a lot of parents try to live out their failed athletic ability through there children. In some cases the parents are pushing the kids more than they are interesting in the time and energy needed to invest in training for sports. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the finish product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the age of mass Amateurization, I think it is important to emphasize getting the right information off the internet is as valuable as having information at your fingertips. Just because information is available does not equate to success, because it could simply be improper information. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. just a add on to Harvey's comment, getting the RIGHT information from the internet is key to developing what ever it is you're trying to do, whether it be cutting hair or throwing a football. This is often tricky and time consuming as there is so much information out there, it's almost discouraging. If you can pin point KEY steps that need to be taken when using the internet for developmental purposes, this could be very useful.

    ReplyDelete