Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The New Internet Lifestyle

Hey guys, my name is Matthew Cole and although media has played an important part in my life I tend to keep my life, online separate from my life, offline.


Indulging in social media isn't really my cup of tea but I do take sips. This is my personal media background story...

Back when most of my friends were signing up for Myspace I was buried deep into other forms of media: books, films, television shows, and video games were what I found myself drawn towards. My first experience in looking at social media critically came in the film adaptation of George Orwells novel, 1984. I was young when I first saw the film and I didn't know it then but that film had a strong impact on me. Watching those people toil away rewriting the newspapers for the masses and in doing so changing history, kind of blew my adolescent mind.

I have always shied away from social media; although, I've been thrown the gauntlet (it being so prevalent in popular culture). Even now in the worlds of academia and beyond (ie: professional careers) we are being forced to blog and tweet. My friend that works for a social media group in Manhattan updates her Instagram, twitter, and various blogs she details with pictures of foods, drinks, people, and brands that all have a stake in the company.

And although most of the time she enjoys the work and the products and the things, those things she writes are skewed. When you're scrolling your feed what you and what I see are happy go lucky people furnished with expensive alcohol that have not a care in the world. But that isn't the whole story.

What I find most interesting lies behind the curtain.

In this intro post I would like to share a video The Atlantic posted back in the middle of the summer about our internet lifestyles bleeding into our lives.


James Hamblin, MD is the Health Editor for the Atlantic and he's a pretty interesting fellow, I hope you enjoy. (That's the link portion.)


For the image I'm picking a photo I took of Sarah last fall - I really like the composition of this photo and I never really never had a reason to use it sooo...here you go. #convergcult

No comments:

Post a Comment